The Search Engine Journal states using the correct file format and having appropriate resizing is a must for excellent image optimization. This entails getting a top-notch image optimizer that can offer you the necessary tools at a low monthly price.
When it comes to picking the best image optimizer on the market, the online audience voted for ShortPixel and WP Smush for many valuable reasons. Bulky optimization, plugin compatibility, and lossless optimization are just a few of the features you’ll be getting.
However, in this ShortPixel vs Smush review, we will get into details of what makes an image optimizer worth considering through the parallel comparison of the plugins. Ultimately, all those interested in image optimization will discover which plugin works better for their needs.
Let’s get started!
ShortPixel vs Smush Overview
Image Optimizers or Compressor plugins are the devices that fix your SEO issues regarding picture sizes. Inappropriate picture sizes affect the overall page loading, resulting in the loss of potential customers or even damaging your brand’s image.
Additionally, oversized images hurt the SEO, which won’t allow you to rank higher on Google and beat your competitors.
ShorPixel and WP Smush are robust SEO Image Optimizers that can help you promote your brand how you see fit. Although they share similar features, the audience’s opinion is divided so let’s review each plugin separately.
Short Pixel Overview
ShortPixel is a cloud-based image optimizer that is super convenient since it can resize your pictures while saving more CPU power and RAM on your computer. It’s highly recommended for all kinds of users, whether beginners or experienced, because of the straightforward user interface.
What makes ShortPixel Image Optimizer special when compared to others is the ability to:
- Integrate with other platforms like WordPress
- Resize without Limitations
- Accept all image formats (including JPG, JPEG, GIF, and WebP).
The plugin is supported by a direct API address, so you can have access to other websites with a single API key.
Moreover, you can get better and faster image compression with the API address because the plugin automatically picks up and edits every uploaded photo.
For example, if you upload a photo while working on WordPress, ShortPixel will resize it but save the original in your WordPress Media Library. Therefore, if you ever need to get the original photo, you have easy access to it.
Keep in mind that ShortPixel saves all information about the photo when it resizes it, including the GPS location, camera setting, date, and time, and all users have access to this information. You might want to delete them before you publish the photo.
WP Smush Overview
Like ShortPixel, Smush has outstanding features like optimizing all file formats, including JPG, JPEG, GIFs, and WebP, great resizing ability, and integration with WordPress. Smush was picked as the ultimate image optimizer by WordPress for the diversity of options and benefits it provides, including:
- No monthly limits
- Background optimization, even if the plugin is on stand-by
- Multisite Compatible, which means it works on all sites you own
Additionally, the Smush plugin comes with super servers with WPMU DEV’s fast and reliable Smush API.
This guarantees that the images won’t slow down the page load. This plugin is excellent for multiple site owners because they can use it interchangeably without any glitches or obstructions.
ShortPixel vs Smush Overall Feature Comparison
|Features / Plugin||ShortPixel||WP Smush|
|Features / PluginFile Flexibility Optimization||ShortPixelJPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP, PDF||WP SmushJPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP, PDF|
|Features / PluginImage Compression||ShortPixel2x on all retina images||WP Smush2x more effective compression than a regular compression|
|Features / PluginThumbnails||ShortPixelAvailable||WP SmushN/A|
|Features / PluginLossy, Glossy, LossLess||ShortPixelAll 3 Included||WP SmushAll 3 Included|
|Features / PluginMultiple sites optimization||ShortPixelYou can use the plugin to edit photos for your other sites||WP SmushYou can use the plugin to edit other photos for your sites|
|Features / PluginAuto-optimization||ShortPixelAvailable||WP SmushAvailable|
|Features / PluginStand by optimization||ShortPixelThe plugin continues to optimize in the background automatically||WP SmushThe plugin continues to optimize in the background automatically|
|Features / PluginSize limits||ShortPixelLimitless||WP SmushLimitless|
|Features / PluginBackup Availability||ShortPixelThe original photos on all automatically optimized images are saved in the gallery||WP SmushThe original photos on all automatically optimized images are saved in the gallery|
|Features / PluginCompatibility with other plugins||ShortPixelExcellent sync with WP Offload Media plugin, WordPress, WPML, and WPMP Media plugins||WP SmushSuper compatible with all Media Library Plugins, Page Builders, and Favorite Themes|
|Features / PluginPricing Plan Flexibility||ShortPixelFlexible||WP SmushFixed|
- Optimizes All Files: JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP, PDF.
- Converts From One Format to Another: It can convert JPEG, PNG, and GIFs to WebP and AVIF.
- Smart Cropping: Creates thumbnails automatically using ShortPixel’s AI.
- Works with WP Retina 2x: All your retina images will be automatically compressed.
- Excellent Scalability: With ShortPixel, you can scale images down with 2 options that replace additional plugins.
- Speedy Image Display: It uses progressive JPEG to facilitate the image display.
- Use it Interchangeably: You can use the ShortPixel plugin while working on several websites via API Key.
- Backup Available: You can optimize the images while saving the originals in the Gallery.
- Bulk Optimization: You can optimize all images in the Media Library through a single click.
- Fully Compatible: It works excellently with the WP Offload Media plugin, WordPress, WPML, and WPMP Media plugins.
- No Size Limit: You can edit all photos you like regardless of size
WP Smush Features
WP Smush is also favored as the best image optimizer WordPress users can hope for since it boasts some unique features and options. Check them out below:
- Outstanding Compression Features: You can optimize images up to 2x more than any regular image optimizer tool with the multi-pass lossy compression.
- Lazy Load: This allows you to postpone all offscreen images with the help of a switch.
- Lossless Compression: You can take out unused data and compress images without damaging the quality.
- Bulky Optimization: You can optimize and compress images with only a single click.
- Stand-By Optimization: The plugin continues with background operations even when on stand-by.
- Image Resizing: You can set a max width and height to ensure that the images are compressed within the boundaries.
- Incorrect Image Size Identifier: Smush will notify you if any compressed or resized images exceed the regular size limits.
- Auto Optimization: You can optimize images even if they are not located in the media library.
- No Monthly Limits: You get to optimize your up to 5MB tops in size images for free.
- Gutenberg Block Integration: Smush has integrated image blocks.
- Optimizes All Files: Smush can process PNG, JPEG, and GIF files.
- Convert to WebP (Pro Only): You can upgrade and auto-serve images in Next-Gen WebP format.
To get access to all WP Smush features, you just need to pay a fixed monthly price.
The Real Output
WP Smush vs ShortPixel Pricing & Plans
|Pricing Plans/Plugins||ShortPixel||WP Smush|
|Pricing Plans/PluginsFile Flexibility Optimization||ShortPixel7 days trial||WP SmushJPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, WebP, PDF|
|Pricing Plans/PluginsFlexible Plans||ShortPixelN/A||WP SmushAvailable; From $3.99 to $83.33|
|Pricing Plans/PluginsMoney Back Guarantee||ShortPixel30 Days money back guarantee||WP SmushN/A|
|Pricing Plans/PluginsOne-Time Plan||ShortPixelN/A; Only Monthly||WP SmushAvailable; You can only buy credits|
These are the main differences regarding pricing plans in the WP Smush vs ShortPixel battle. However, let’s review the plans in detail to see which features they include for different prices.
ShortPixel Pricing & Plans
One of the best things about ShortPixel is that it comes with flexible pricing plans where you can get monthly or yearly billing and save more money.
Otherwise, in each plan, you have credits to use, and depending on the plan you get, the number of credits varies. Here’s what you get with each pricing option:
- Premium Plan: You get 100 credits per month for free.
- The $3.99 Plan: It offers 7,000 credits monthly with an estimated $47.90 cost over a year. You can save around $11.98 yearly by scaling this plan with one-time payments.
- The Most Popular Plan: This is the most frequently bought plan because it includes 16,000 credits for only $8.33 per month. Yearly billed, this plan costs $99.90 in total; in other words, you save up to $19.98.
- The $24.99 Plan: This plan offers 55,000 credits and totals a one-time payment of $299.90.
- The $41.66 Plan: This is the new plan in ShortPixel Pricing Plans, where you get 100,000 credits per month for only $499.90 annually, averaging $41.66 monthly.
- The $83.33 Plan: One of the newer plans offers you 220.000 credits per month for only $83.33. The annual billing of this plan will cost you $999.90.
Apart from the monthly payments, ShortPixel offers you excellent plans as a one-time buy:
- $9.99 for 10,000 credits
- $19.99 for 30,000 credits
- $29.99 for 50,000 credits
- $59.00 for 100,000 credits
- $99.00 for 170,000 credits
- $245.00 for 500,000 credits
These options are recommended for one-site owners since they won’t need too many credits over an extended period.
A final note about ShortPixel pricing is that the credits you don’t use in a month won’t roll over to the next. Therefore, when you’re getting your pricing plan, make sure you subscribe to the one that suits your needs.
Smush Pricing & Plans
If you searched online for WP Smush, you’ve probably noticed the pricing is a bit confusing. What you need to know about Smush is that this plugin is created under the WPMU DEV platform.
WPMU DEV is a premium platform where users can host and manage various WordPress sites. Therefore, since WP Smush is part of WPMU DEV, you need to buy their membership card to use the features. The card costs only $49.
Otherwise, WP Smush offers a free plugin trial for 7 days and then starts billing monthly. The monthly cost for WP Smush is $7.50, and you have a 30 money-back guarantee in case you’re unsatisfied with the plugin or have trouble using it.
ShortPixel Pros & Cons
- Offers multiple compression types, including Lossy, Glossy, LossLess
- Works with all file formats
- Bulk Optimization
- You cannot use the remaining credits from one month to the next
Smush Pros & Cons
- Bulk Optimization
- Convertible from PNG to Lossy JPEG
- Wrong Size Detector
- Auto- Smush
- Must get a WMPU DEV membership card worth $49 to enjoy the extra features
ShortPixel vs WP Smush Support & Help
Having an excellent customer support team always helps in delivering the best user experience, especially when it comes to plugins.
If a brand promotes a plugin available for experienced and inexperienced users, then the brand needs robust customer support. The amateur users will have various issues with the plugin, especially during the beginning while they get used to it.
So, we reviewed each customer support team, tested their knowledge, and described our experience below.
ShortPixel Support & Help
ShortPixel has a functional customer support option. We’ve read some complaints online that the support team was unreachable after 10 pm, but our experience was different.
You may find it a bit disappointing that there is no direct call option or live chat support where you can get instant feedback on what to do next; however, an email option is available.
Namely, if you have any issues, open ShortPixel’s contact group. You will have to leave your email address, explain the problem in detail, and wait for a response.
If you scroll down, you will see the customer support agents with their names and contacts. You can get in touch with them directly if you don’t get a reply in 15 minutes.
Otherwise, before you start typing the email, you will notice a notification saying, ‘search for an answer to your question in our docs.’
If you click on the link, it will take you to the ShortPixel library or archive with answers to various common questions. You can search for your problem and find the solution on your own.
Smush Support & Help
One of the best things about WP Smush is that they offer outstanding customer support available 24/7/365 — this is how they present the support team’s working hours.
We manually checked their availability and responsiveness, and we can say that it was satisfactory. They have a rich contact area offering email, direct calls, and live chat support options.
In our case, we had an email response from the team in 10 minutes, and after we explained the issue, they walked us through the fastest solution. It worked, and we solved our problem in less than half an hour which is satisfactory to every online businessperson.
Smush’s support team is probably one of the best assets this plugin offers since it reassures potential customers they always have a backup should they face any issues or technical problems on the platform.
Shortpixel vs. Smush: Which to Opt?
To conclude the final verdict on which plugin is better and what makes the WordPress best Image Optimizer – we suggest highlighting the main features.
Optimization-wise, both plugins gave satisfactory results. You can optimize conventional and unconventional files and convert them. Both plugins have automatic optimization, which means they will resize every photo uploaded to your gallery according to your established norms.
Also, you will have the original image in your gallery if you need to reuse it again. Bulk optimization is another available feature with ShortPixel and Smush, considered a lifesaver for all multiple site owners.
Overall, the functionalities are similar, but the value for the money isn’t. What we believe should determine the final verdict is the pricing and the plans each of them offers.
With WP Smush, you get all the performances you would acquire with ShortPixel, but to use them, you need to pay for the membership card, which charges you $49.
Considering all the different pricing plans and the fact that it is designed for both beginners and experienced users, we find ShortPixel a more comfortable and straightforward option.
We hope you found our ShorPixel vs Smush review useful and that it helped you understand the crucial difference between these two plugins so that you can make the best call.
Yes. It works with conventional and unconventional file formats and offers a range of different payment options suitable to every site owner’s needs.
No. Smush reduces image size, but it doesn’t affect image quality.
Yes. It comes as one of the best WordPress image optimizer plugins.
WP Smush is an image optimizer plugin that can resize an image to the required format, so it doesn’t affect the SEO and help you rank higher on Google.
Yes. The benefits it provides are especially suitable for multiple-site owners.
Smush costs $7.50 monthly, but if you decide to purchase the $49 membership card, you’ll get access to all benefits.